To the strains of the hymn “If We Just Talk of Thoughts and Prayers,” the PCUSA ordained The Rev. Deanna Hollas as its first minister of gun violence prevention in July.
Ms. Hollas is believed to be the first person in the country to be given a national ecclesiastical role of this kind. And the choice of the hymn was a deliberate underlining of what she sees as a desperate need: to do more than react to the latest mass shooting with an offer of benedictions.
From her place of ministry, Retreat House Spirituality Center in Richardson, Tex., Ms. Hollas will oversee about 800 supporters of gun violence prevention in all 50 states.
These are the reasons why we all need to speak out about gun violence in the United States:
- Americans kill each other with guns at 25 times the rate of other high income countries.
- EVERYDAY, 8 CHILDREN AND TEENS ARE SHOT UNINTENTIONALLY BY FAMILY GUNFIRE!
- Every 10 hours, a woman is shot dead by her current or former partner.
- Gun Violence is estimated to cost $229 Billion EVERY YEAR!
- 40,000 people are killed by guns each year.
Opportunities for Action
- Contact your member of congress to ACT NOW TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE
Peace and Justice Network,
Presbytery of the Grand Canyon
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO OFFER THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS, CONTACT:
Betty Forsberg -email@example.com