The COM approved a motion setting the Minimum Effective Salary (salary plus housing) at $52,000 effective February 1, 2019. This motion applies to all new calls and all revisions of the terms of call for a teaching elder. This new minimum effective salary will apply to all calls effective January 1, 2020. A church may request an exception through COM if it is unable to meet the $52,000 minimum salary.
What does this mean?
- Any contract established before February 1, 2019 that is below the minimum is exempt from this motion for the rest of 2019 and the current terms of call may remain until January 1, 2020.
- Any new contract established after February 1, 2019 is based on a minimum effective salary (salary and housing) of $52,000.
- All existing contracts will be required to meet the minimum standards beginning January 1, 2020.
- Any church required to meet the new minimum may petition the Commission on Ministry for an exemption of this new minimum.
- Beginning in the August/September of 2019 (and every year thereafter) the minimum effective salary will be evaluated by COM to see if any change should be made. If a change is made, to existing terms of call for the coming year or for new contracts established in 2020 and thereafter, the new minimum salary is in effect for both types of contract.
- Changes will be evaluated in the August/September time frame each year to allow ample time for the churches as they prepare their budgets for the coming year.
By Stated Clerk Presbytery Grand Canyon